In the first article we discussed how the thyroid works, the common symptoms of thyroid dysfunction and two thyroid conditions that are actually autoimmune problems not thyroid problems.
In this next part we will go into cover understanding thyroid panels and The influence of thyroid hormones on physiology and metabolic function
This is EXACTLY why your thyroid NEEDS to function at its optimal level.
Now, back to that disturbing trend I observed concerning the treatment of thyroid conditions…the disturbing trend: most thyroid sufferers are treated exactly the same!
This really bothers me because I understand from my knowledge of neurology that no two people react the same…especially with endocrine dysfunction.
Then why are all thyroid sufferers treated the same?
Did you know that there are MANY different blood tests that can be analyzed in order to determine exactly how your thyroid is affected? Most doctors just use the same old blood tests and never bother checking beyond those.
We CAN treat your thyroid condition naturally and you may not need any medication at all.
DON’T get me wrong, I am NOT here to tell you to stop taking your current medications. Our office would NEVER do that!
We actually work WITH your prescribing doctor to get you feeling better as quickly as possible.
We use very specific blood tests, which may include any or all of the following, depending on individual determination:
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH): the message sent from a gland in the brain (pituitary) to the thyroid
- Free T3: an important hormone produced by the thyroid gland, considered to be the more biologically active hormone of the thyroid
- Free T4: another important hormone produced by the thyroid gland
- Thyroid Antibodies (TGB & TPO): checked in suspected cases of autoimmune thyroid disorders (see below)
- Reverse T3: this is a wayward (or “reverse”) version of T3 and causes problems
- Total T4: this is a reflection of how much total T4 hormone there is in the blood
- Free Thyroxine Index (FTI): this is an estimate of how much thyroxine is in the blood
- Resin T3 Uptake: this test measures the unsaturated binding sites on the thyroid proteins
- Complete Metabolic Profile (CMP): checks electrolytes, blood sugar, and other markers that can indicate any disturbances in physiology
- Lipid Panel: cholesterol, LDL, HDL, etc. because these can be related to endocrine dysfunction
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) w/differential: this checks your cells counts—white blood cells, red blood cells, and so forth as well as a specific breakdown of certain white cells that can indicate an often overlooked pattern of endocrine change
- Urinalysis: sometimes we discover substances your body is eliminating in the urine that shouldn’t be there
We ALSO test to see if you have an autoimmune disease. An autoimmune disease is where your immune system attacks a particular area of the body (like the thyroid, for instance), so we test for specific thyroid antibodies to determine if YOU suffer from an autoimmune thyroid disease.
We can also check for gluten antibodies, myelin (fatty sheath around the nerves) antibodies, cerebellar (back part of the brain controlling balance, coordinated movement, and spinal muscles) antibodies.
Additionally we can test your adrenal glands (small glands on top of the kidneys) via an Adrenal Stress Index (ASI), as many thyroid sufferers also suffer from adrenal problems.
Have you EVER been checked for any of the above antibodies or had an ASI?
We may choose to enter your blood work into our Functional Blood Chemistry Analysis software database to determine which nutrients are best suited to help your SPECIFIC condition.
This will facilitate a more complete and rapid recovery from your thyroid condition. Remember: NO TWO THYROID PATIENTS ARE ALIKE SO NOT ALL THYROID PATIENTS SHOULD EVER BE TREATED ALIKE!
Based on your PERSONAL blood chemistry, we can quickly determine which products will benefit you the most and get you on the road to recovery.
WHEN NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATIONS ARE NOT BASED ON YOUR CURRENT BLOOD WORK, THEY ARE MOST OFTEN INACCURATE!
YOUR SPECIFIC CONDITION MUST BE ANALYZED VIA YOUR BLOOD CHEMISTRY RESULTS IN ORDER TO MAKE EFFECTIVE NUTRITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS!
At this point ask yourself
the following questions:
#1: How have my thyroid symptoms affected my job, relationships, finances, family, or other activities?
#2: What has it cost me in time, money, happiness, sleep?
#3: Where do you picture yourself in the next one to three years if your thyroid problem is not taken care of?
#4: What is it worth to you if we could improve your condition?
NOW, IMAGINE YOUR LIFE WITHOUT THYROID SYMPTOMS! THINK OF FEELING LIKE YOURSELF AGAIN, AND DOING ALL OF THE ACTIVITIES AND THINGS THAT YOU USED TO DO.
Here’s What To Do Next…
Call my office at 757-363-8571 and tell my staff that you are interested in setting up a FREE CONSULTATION to discuss alternative treatments for your thyroid condition with me, Dr. Scott.
Dr. Mark A. Scott D.C., C.N.S., C.F.M.P.
Board Certified in Integrative Medicine.
(Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not designed to substitute for professional and individualized health advice. Please do not stop or start taking prescription medication without the advice of your prescribing doctor, as this can be very dangerous to your health. You should always consult your prescribing doctor regarding prescription drugs.)